1. What is couples and relationship therapy?
Couples and relationship counselling is a specific type of talking therapy which helps people deal with their relationship difficulties and issues. It is suitable for individuals, couples and families. Whether you are seeking individual help for relationship issues or for marriage guidance or family therapy, this specialised service is beneficial in supporting anyone wanting to improve the quality of their relationships and improving relationship skills. Therapists who practice relationship, marital and family therapy are trained to work specifically in these areas.
2. How does Couples and relationship counselling help?
Couples and relationship counselling helps individuals, couples and families understand their relationship patterns and explore family dynamics, personal attitudes, values and differences. It also helps people understand relationship issues more clearly in context with their culture, gender, ethnicity and others life experiences. It is most beneficial in helping people deal with conflict in relationships and to improve communication skills.
3. How is couples and relationship therapy different from other talking therapies?
There are several schools of thought or models of individual counselling but couples and family therapy sees relationships in terms of family systems. This means that people are not seen in isolation from each other but as part of a system or family unit. This type of therapy helps people understand how their family units works by looking at family patterns from the past to the present. This approach can help people make sense of their current relationship problems or difficulties.
4. Getting the most out of couples and relationship therapy
To get the most out of couples and relationship therapy it helps if you are able to
- Clarify the reasons you are coming to counselling
- Clarify any goals you want to work towards
- Be realistic about what’s possible to change in your relationship
- Have a willingness to listen, be open to change and new ideas
- Have a willingness to learn and practice new relationship skills
5. How long is the duration of couples and relationship therapy
A minimum of three to six sessions are advisable to achieve noticeable results in all relationship counselling.
Request a Consultation
Contact us today to review your need and to discuss the ways we can help!