Hello, I'm El-marie and I'm a LifeWorks Personal Development Trainer.
I am a South African citizen and speak Afrikaans and English. Dubai is my home for the past 9 years.
I obtained a Hons. degree in Social Work in Psychiatric Context from the North-West University, Potchefstroom campus, South-Africa.
My training, knowledge and experience as a counsellor during the previous 30 years in South Africa, qualifies me to offer personal development consultations and training to individuals, couples and groups.
I am dedicated in assisting you to deal with pain, loss and self doubt through training, support and guidance.
The demands of being an expat in Dubai, being away from family and your Heimat, can lead to feelings of anxiety, stress and depression. The need to belong to someone or something is highlighted when being emotionally isolated.
I was registered as Private Practitioner in Kwa-Zulu Natal and did consultancy work for ICAS (UK Company), Careways (American company) and ProCare (South African company). I offered Employee Assistance to companies and enjoy team work.
I have 6 years experience in teaching at a British curriculum international school in Dubai. Part of my role was to assist parents in raising emotionally secure and responsible children, and to counsel students who experienced peer pressure.
Over the years I have continued to invest in my education as a counsellor and educator with ongoing training and personal development, i.e:
• Trauma debriefing for victims of crime and violence.
• Bereavement, loss and grief counselling and support.
• Relationship guidance and counselling.
• Family therapy and counselling.
• Employee assistance.
• Divorce mediation.
• Forensic work for Children's, Juvenile- and Criminal Courts in South Africa.
• Counselling in primary- and secondary school settings.
• HIV and Aids counselling.
Other training and development
• Rational Behaviour Therapy.
• Couple counselling Course.
• In-service Training as Probation Officer.
• HIV/Aids Counselling training Course.
• Measurement in Social Work, Heimler Scale.
• Trauma Counselling Course, National Peace Accord.
• Advanced Course in Gestalt Play Therapy.
• Anxiety and Depression Course.
• Behaviour Management Course in Primary Schools.
• Inclusive Education Coursework.
Previous Professional registration and affiliationsv
• S.A. Council for Social Service Professions (SACSSP)
• S A. Association of Social Workers in Private Practice.
• General Social Care Council UK – England (GSCC)
I adhere to my ethical code of Confidentiality and Respect.
I believe that we CAN change and grow and be strengthened by the very difficult situation we find ourselves in.
I do look forward to meeting you at Lifeworks!